An American President Resides in Possagno




Alan traveled over the weekend for a business meeting. Franca, the wife of Alan’s cousin, Ruggero, picked me up on Saturday, and whisked me off to another beautiful mountain town. Possagno is the hometown of the famous artist, Canova, a neoclassical sculptor. The museum was built next to the ancestral home of Canova, which contains paintings and drawings done by the artist. The interior of the museum is a masterful tribute to the works of Canova unfortunately cameras were not allowed. I could go on and on about his sculptures but my favorites were Cupid and Psyche, and The Three Graces…bellissima. That was until we stumbled upon a plaster model of George Washington dressed as a Roman general. A staffer explained that the piece was commissioned by North Carolina in 1816. I was thrilled to see not only a masterful piece of Canova’s work, but a link to America and a president without access to twitter.

Canova also built a massive temple and the lovely Franca is center stage.
Canova died 10 years before the temple was completed.
The next day Franca and Ruggero took me to the yet another beautiful mountain town called Asolo. I encountered a castle, bikers, and a festival celebrating firemen. 

This handsome firefighter  initially was upset that he wasn't included in the photos I was taking. So I asked him if I could take his picture and he graciously posed for me. 







 Ruggero admiring the old fire-fighting vehicles in the piazza. The town was honoring firefighters that day and we were happy to join in. My uncle Joe Spair was a fireman and so my appreciation for those who risk their lives is universal.





I knew bikers loved this region because of all the mountains they get to practice on for events like the Giro d'Italia and The Tour de France, but seriously, we dodged a parade of bikers of all ages on very narrow streets.

 


Speaking of ages, the castle in Asolo dates back to the 10th century. Franca and I explored the grounds and the views were amazing. 

Walking through this town you couldn’t help but wonder what life was like living here centuries ago. We found what looked like a raised trough that was used to wash laundry. Some progess will always be welcome.

Another thought: Rick Steves has the best job in the world, traveling to cities like Asolo and Possagno, eating his way through cuisine to die for; and in my case, to die of the heartbreak of non mangio formaggio. Oh Rick, how I envy you.






We did make one major discovery here in Asolo. The mystery of Alan’s missing bike has been solved. Yes, we found  Alan’s beloved Bianchi.

Miracles do happen.


Back in the states, the pretty, pretty princess, Alison, is going to see Hamilton this weekend where she will see George Washington and Lafayette. Kudos Lin-Manuel Miranda or should I say Brava. The real Lafayette visited the statue of George in Raleigh, NC; unfortunately the statue was destroyed in a fire at the state House about 10 years after it was installed. But George lives and crosses an ocean: Canova also rendered a naked George who will be on display at the Frick in NY next year. A naked George Washington, a president we can all stand behind.

P.S. This was written at the Color Café and I want to thank the staff there. They are so sweet and they respond to my brutal attempts at Italian with smiles. They practice their English on me, but their multi-lingual skills are far better than mine. Grazie.

Photos by Loree

Comments

  1. I really enjoy reading your blogs, from San Diego. Considering the move to Italy as well one day. Did you ever get your bike from Fedex?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anthony. No place is paradise, but we think if you are self sufficient and not seeking employment then Italy is a joy. Yes, my plea was answered and I received the bike without having to pay the tax.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why are they speaking to us in German?

Learning to Crawl!

Likes and Dislikes of living in Italy